I recently discovered that you can twist off the top of a pineapple, any old pineapple you pick up at the grocery store, and that is where the roots are. So the I thought, hey, maybe you could plant and grow pineapples! Now, I haven't quite gotten that far but for now at least I've got some pretty plants! Here is what you do:
1. Go to your local grocery store and buy a pineapple
2. Twist off the top (it is actually pretty easy)
3. Cut up and enjoy your pineapple :)
4. Take the top and pull off the bottom few rows of leaves
5. You should the see some stringy roots!
6. Place in a cup filled with water with the roots submerged for about a week (you will notice the roots starting to grow!)
7. Plant in a good sized pot with soil and water frequently
8. Watch it grow!
The leaves will grow up from the middle and it is ok for the lower leaves to get brown as long as the middle is green and growing you have been successful! Now mind you, I do NOT have much of a green thumb, heck, I can and do kill just about anything that is green! However, this was easy peasy! But also remember I am NO expert and this is only from a one time trial run that I started about a month ago. :)