Sunday, December 16, 2012

Recovering kitchen chairs {DIY}

Having 4 boys can be rough on my home and my furniture. Our kitchen takes one of the biggest beatings on a daily basis. As embarrassing at it is, I'm not going too lie, my kitchen chairs are DISGUSTING! I try to keep the clean but these boys spill everything they eat or drink at every meal and it is just impossible.

This Christmas my in-laws are coming to visit, and although they have seen the mess it's still really embarrassing and I don't want them to have to see or sit on them. I have been talking for a long time about re-covering them. My mom used to do it and I've watched enough HGTV and DIY shows to know it is pretty simple to do, but I've been nervous still. I finally decided that it was time to give it a try and I was really impressed with myself! The only thing I wanted to do, should have done, but didn't do, was to to a plastic covering for easy future clean up. I actually will probably still do it, I just have to find the right kind of plastic.

So here, for your viewing pleasure, is how to re-cover kitchen chairs!
It is really quick and easy. I finished 4 chairs in an hour.

BEFORE (ewwww, I know)
Locate the screws on the bottom of the chair. Unscrew them and pop off the seat.
Pull the fabric around tightly and use a staple gun to secure the fabric. (I also hammered them in to make sure they were tight on the fabric)
Continue to pull the fabric around and fasten on the underside of the seat. Make sure you are keeping the front tight and flat)

Flip over the seat and make sure it is how you want it and then line it back up on the chair and reinsert the screws. Make sure you line it up evenly. 

AFTER (HORRAY!!!)




No comments:

Post a Comment