Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Dryer Balls


A week or so ago I was scrolling through a FB* group I am in called Cloth Swap/WAHM Shop (basically a place to swap all things cloth and to find awesome handmade items) and I came across some 100% wool dryer balls. I was really intrigued because with my cloth diapers I can't use dryer sheets to help soften them (it can counteract the absorbency and make them repentant). I had heard of other types of dryer balls but didn't know there were a type that could be made at home so I decided to look it up online and see how difficult it would be. Turns out, it's not all that difficult! Mostly because they were about $4-$6 PER BALL plus shipping and you need, I've heard, anywhere from 4-12, and I knew my husband would NOT give me the OK on that purchase I decided to give it a try.

Today I set off on a short adventure with the 3 littles and find some 100% wool yarn (my local Wal-Mart only has acrylic or blends which won't work) and came to Hancock Fabric and found a less than overwhelming selection. I had hoped to find some pretty colors but only found 4 very neutral colors. Next trip out to find yarn I'm going to hope for some luck at Hobby Lobby. So far the felting process (that makes the balls solid to  work) isn't going so well... maybe an extra wash or two till success! If I get it to work a little tutorial will follow :) IF you want to make them yourself. If not I'm going to team up with my friend and sell them on her FB page Snuggly Baby Boutique.

*Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment